Creating Social Enterprises
We put our money where our mouth is. Our first social enterprises include a community restaurant and a chef clothing business both in Kathmandu.
Our ultimate goal is to create a social enterprise in the education field.
... so watch this space!
We partner well established, locally run organisations in Nepal with a great track record of benefiting their communities. We contribute our biggest strengths and together, we create powerful projects. We also encourage and support small organisations that we see doing a great job and who need a leg up.
Creating skills training & employment
Lack of education and skills training is one of the root causes of poverty. Our skills training programs raise self esteem and our social enterprises provide the follow up employment opportunities. The two go hand in hand.
Filling the gap with strong marketing
Making stuff is the easy bit. Selling it is, much harder ... especially in Nepal.
We create connections in Nepal and Australia and provide a conduit for our partners to sell their products. Our charity status in Australia puts us in an ideal position to compete, while at the same time pay our employees well.
We exist to put an end to the suffering caused by poverty and social injustice. Our mission is to create workable and sustainable structures so that marginalised communities have the freedom to create secure, satisfying and productive lives of their own making.
We follow the 7 PRINCIPLES of SOCIAL BUSINESS
- Our business objective is to overcome poverty as opposed to profit maximization.
- Our goal is financial and economic sustainability.
- Our investors will be repaid their investment amount only. No dividend is given beyond investment money.
- When investment amount is paid back, our company profit stays with the company for expansion and improvement.
- We are gender sensitive and environmentally conscious.
- Our workforce gets market wage with better working conditions.
- We do it with joy!
Muhammad Yunus (father of Social Business)
What We've Achieved
Sarangi Veg Restaurant -
- We have created a truly successful community restaurant in Thamel, the tourist district of Kathmandu, Nepal. This was against overwhelming odds including a major earthquake in 2015 which was followed by a five month fuel blockade.
- We have been consistently rated in the top 10 out of 735 restaurants on TripAdvisor since mid 2017.
- We have provided funding for 3 restaurant staff to attend hospitality training school.
- We have created 8 full time jobs through our restaurant enterprise.
Sarangi Chef Clothing-
- We have created a chef clothing social enterprise with a growing number of prestigious clients in Kathmandu which include Hyatt Regency Hotel, Annapurna Hotel and Gate College. And in doing so have created employment for five families.
- We have created powerful partnerships with large and small organisations in Nepal and Australia. Our aim is to fill the marketing gap, the biggest obstacle for many Nepali social enterprises.
- We support our partners by selling their products through our restaurant at no commission.